Header graphic for print
Listeria Blog Surveillance & Analysis on Listeria News & Outbreaks

Listeria Popcorn Recalled

Dale and Thomas Popcorn is voluntarily recalling a limited number of ready-to-eat bags of select flavors of Popcorn, Indiana-brand popcorn products (listed below) because of possible contamination by Listeria monocytogenes. Listeria monocytogenes is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women. Anyone who is concerned about a possible health problem or illness should contact a healthcare provider immediately.

Products involved in the recall should not be consumed and may be returned to the point of purchase for a full refund or replacement.

The recalled products were distributed to various retailers, vendors, distribution centers, and consumers through the Internet on or after August 8th, 2012 with Best By dates of February 4th, 2013 through March 12th, 2013. All recalled products were packaged in red bags of various sizes. Consumers can identify if they have purchased an impacted product by looking at the Best By date located in the front, top right corner of the package and the Bag UPC (Code) located in the nutritional panel found on the back, bottom left corner of the package.

The potential for contamination was noted after testing by the company revealed the presence of Listeria monocytogenes in some ready-to-eat bags of Popcorn, Indiana-brand products.

  • Tammy Shipley

    My husband bought me some of your cinnamon and sugar flavored popcorn. I ate some and shared a few tiny pieces with my 7lb chihuahua. That night, I had to use the bathroom several times and all the next day. My dog also had diarrhea the same time. I came close to taking him to the emergency vet for it. I couldn’t begin to tell you what I would have done if something serious, or worse, had happened to him.
    We tossed the rest of the bag in the trash, chalking up the “sickness” up to the favors not agreeing with the dog and myself. Now, I know that it was something worse that made us both sick. Just wanted to make it known, for the record.