These products were sold in ShopRite, Price Rite Marketplace, The Fresh Grocer and Dearborn Market stores located in New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, Delaware, Rhode Island and Virginia.
Wakefern Food Corp. has initiated a voluntary recall of a variety of Wholesome Pantry Organic nut butters because they may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes , an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women. No illnesses related to the recall have been reported.
Five varieties of nut butters, packed in 16 ounce plastic jars, with best by dates of June 2020 and earlier, have been recalled:
- Wholesome Pantry Organic Creamy Salted Almond Butter UPC: 04119006004
- Wholesome Pantry Organic Creamy Unsalted Almond Butter UPC: 04119006005
- Wholesome Pantry Organic Unsalted Sunflower Butter UPC: 04119005827
- Wholesome Pantry Organic Tahini Butter UPC: 04119005828
- Wholesome Pantry Organic Cashew Butter UPC: 04119006006
Wakefern was made aware of the issue when their supplier, Oskri Organics Corporation of Lake Mills, WI, notified them that several nut butters produced in their facility had tested positive for Listeria bacteria.