The FDA has now announced a recall of hard-cooked eggs and products containing those eggs by Wegmans Food Markets. The recall is connected with a positive listeria test at Michael Foods reported on by listeria blog several days ago.
According to the FDA:
Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. is recalling hard-cooked eggs, as well as prepared foods that contain hard-cooked eggs, sold between January 23 and February 1, 2012 because the eggs have the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
This recall affects purchases made in Wegmans’ stores located in Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse, Canandaigua, Newark, Geneva, Corning, Elmira, Geneseo, and Hornell, NY.
FDA explains the basis for the recall:
According to Michael Foods, the recall was initiated after lab testing revealed that some of the eggs within the recalled lot dates may have been contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. A recall of three lot dates was announced on Thursday, January 26, but Wegmans had not received any of the three initial lot codes. As a precautionary measure, the recall was expanded on February 1 to include additional lot dates, one of which was received by Wegmans. Michael Foods reached the decision to expand this recall after a thorough investigation which indicated a specific repair project that took place in the packaging room as the likely source of the contamination.
The following affected products sold in Wegmans prepared foods and deli departments are included in the recall:
- Hard-Cooked Eggs (sold by the pound in prepared foods or as a choice on the Fresh Foods Bar)
- Eggs (special-order deli tray or 6-pack, 12 pack)
- Cobb Salad (10 oz, 43 oz, and 6.5 lb)
- Garden Salad (10 oz, 20 oz, 2 lb, and 5 lb)
- Baby Spinach Salad (9 oz, 1.8 lb, and 3.9 lb)
- Chef Salad (9 oz. and 18 oz.)
- Egg Salad (sold by the pound in prepared foods)
- Egg Salad Sub (Sub Shop)
- Kosher Macaroni Salad (sold by the pound in kosher deli)
- Kosher Pickled Eggs (sold by the pound in kosher deli)
There have not yet been any illnesses reported in connection with the products.